West Bengal Services (Appointment, Probation and Absorption of Group C Employees) Rules
Government of West Bengal Finance Department Audit Branch Writers’ Buildings, Kolkata-700 001.
No. 1832-F(P), dt. 01-03-2013
In exercise of the power conferred by the proviso to article 309 of the Constitution of India and in partial modification of notification No. 6060-F, dated the 25th June, 1979, the Governor is hereby pleased to make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) These rules may be called the West Bengal Services (Appointment, Probation and Absorption of Group C Employees) Rules, 2013.
(2) They shall come into force with effect from the 1st day of March, 2013.
2. Application - (1) These rules shall apply in case of appointment to any post or cadre or service or category belonging to Group C.
(2) These rules shall not apply to-
(a) part-time workers, casual labourers, daily labourers, master roll workers and seasonal labourers;
(b) such other categories of persons as may be specified from time to time by Government by notification in the Official Gazette;
(c) cases of appointment on promotion.
3. Definitions - In these rules unless the context otherwise requires,-
(1) “Appointment on probation” means appointment on trial before absorption;
(2) “Government” means the Government of West Bengal;
(3) “Probationer” means a Government employee appointed on probation.
4. Mode of appointment.- On or after the date of coming into force of these rules, all appointments on entry into posts or cadre or service or category belonging to Group C in the Government service, shall be on probation for a period of three years.
5. Absorption after probation.- A Government employee shall be absorbed on regular basis on satisfactory completion of the period of probation and for this purpose, the performance of the concerned employee shall be reviewed after completion of each year;
Provided that where passing of departmental or other examination like computer skill etc. is essential under any existing rules of the concerned Group C post, the concerned employee shall have to pass the same within the period of probation;
Provided further that in case such Government employee fails to pass the departmental or other examination within the period of probation, the period of probation may be extended for further period of one year on the request of the employee.
6. Discharge on non-satisfactory performance during the period of probation.- In case of non-satisfactory performance or failing to pass the departmental examination or other examination as mentioned in rule 5, the Government employee concerned may be discharged.
7. Selection procedure- Selection shall be made on the basis of competitive examination to be conducted by the Staff Selection Commission, West Bengal or the Public Service Commission, West Bengal (Clerkship Examination only), as the case may be, by way of following the procedures mentioned in the relevant recruitment rules of the concerned Group C posts or cadre or service or category.
8. Drawal of salary during the period of probation.- During the period of probation only the entry point pay i.e. Basic Pay plus Grade Pay of the concerned Group C posts or service or cadre or category shall be allowed with annual increment @ 3% per annum and medical allowance, if any.
9. Treatment of probation period after absorption.- (1) After absorption on successful completion of the period of probation and passing of such departmental examination wherever applicable, an employee shall be allowed to draw pay in the regular scale related to the concerned posts or service or cadre or category from date of confirmation.
(2) The period of probation shall be counted for pensionary benefit and shall not counted for Modified Carrier Advancement Scheme (MCAS) or for promotion.
10. Leave during period of probation. - Leave during period of probation shall be allowed as per rule 213 of the West Bengal Service Rules, Part I, applicable for contractual appointment.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- H. K. Dwivedi
Secy. to the Govt. of West Bengal